The mix-bus compressor of choice for Grammy Award-winning producers and engineers.
The rackmount Tube-Tech SMC 2B Stereo Multiband Compressor is an all tube-based compressor that adds
the warmth of vintage quality masters to your mix. If you've heard records by Beck, Offspring, Rufus Wainright, and All American
Rejects, you'll find a Tube-Tech SMC 2B Multi-band compressor in the hands of Joe Chiccarelli strapped across the stereo bus.
SCM 2B Stereo Multi-band Compressor, First Take:
- Multi-bandband compression and variable crossover points let you craft your overall mix
- Three independent stereo optocompressors
- Flat frequency response across all three bands
- Balanced I/O and floating transformers
the Tube-Tech SCM 2B's variable crossover points ensure precise control with all three bands of optocompression. Independent
band specific Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release & Gain parameters make the SMC 2B as flexible as it is accurate. For example,
a stereo compressor can squash and muddy the midrange of rock records. With the SMC 2B, you can add just the slightest compression
to the midrange where the guitars live to keep them vibrant and lively. The adjustable crossover points allows you to set
the low-frequency range so that the bass on dance tracks won't get over-compressed.
Three Stereo Optocompressors
The Tube-Tech SMC 2B Stereo Multiband Compressor features three independent optical stereo compressors. The signal is divided
into three bands (Low, Mid & High) by 6 dB/octave x-over networks with variable frequencies: 60-1200 Hz for Low/Mid band and
1,2-6 kHz for the Mid/High band.
Flat Frequency Response
The design of the crossover networks optimizes the summing of all three bands, resulting in a flat frequency response (within
+/-0.25 dB), when the gain controls for each band are set at the same level. The three compressors feature Threshold, Ratio,
Attack, Release and Gain and a display showing gain reduction. Master levels are set with Output Gain and Balance controls.
Balanced I/O and Floating Transformers
Both Input and Output are balanced and have fully floating transformers with a static screen, which provides the greatest
amount of electronic isolation for elimination of ground loops, resulting in super-quiet operation. The power supply and
the sidechain circuit are based on a solid state circuit. With the exception of the output stage all DC voltages are stabilized.
For over twenty years, Tube Tech has been one of the most prominent names in all-tube signal processing equipment. You'll
find their gear in the best recording and mastering studios around the world. The company's founder, John Petersen is an electrical
engineer who was factory trained at Solid State Logic, EMT, Studer, Sony, Neumann, and NTP Electonik (digital audio routers).
He also designed tape recorder playback/recording amps for Lyrec tape recorders (found in the studios of the legendary Joe
Meek and Vangelis). His first design under the name of Tube-Tech was an all-tube equalizer based on the legendary Pultec EQP
1A. Petersen continued to design and manufacture a number of innovative all-tube outboard processors including preamps, multiband
compressors and summing amps. Thanks to John's dedication to high-quality analog sound you'll see Tube-Tech gear in the racks
of pro audio legends such as multi Grammy Award winner Al Schmitt, (Frank Sinatra, Steely Dan, Toto, Quincy Jones, Natalie
Cole, Diana Krall), Grammy winner Joe Chiccarelli, (Elton John, Beck, U2, Tori Amos, Counting Crows, Offspring), engineer
Russ Long (Sixpence None The Richer, Wilco, Dolly Parton, Allison Moorer), producer-engineer Tony Shepperd (Elton John, Madonna,
Kenny Loggins, Barbra Streisand, Lionel Richie, and Whitney Houston), and many more.
Tube-Tech SMC 2B Stereo Multi-Band Compressor Features:
- The world's only "all tube based" multiband compressor design
- Three bands per channel with variable crossover frequencies between bands
- Stereo sidechain with variable Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release and Gain controls for all three bands
- Master Output Gain (off to +10 dB)
- Balance Control (+/-1,5 dB)
- LED display showing compression
- Freq. response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 60 kHz
- Low noise: < -60 dBu @10 dB gain
- Conductive plastic potentiometers
- Clickless bypass relay
You'll be hard pressed to find any multiband compressor that can rival the SMC 2B for mastering
or a larger than life sound!
Tube-Tech SMC 2B Stereo Multi-Band Compressor Specifications:
- Input Impedance: 2 kohm
- Output Impedance: 60 ohm
- Frequency response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 60 kHz
- Distortion THD+N @ 40 Hz: 0 dBu 0.15 %, +10 dBu: 0.15 %
- Noise Rg=200 ohm: 22 Hz-22 kHz; -70 dBu (Output Gain @ 0dB ), -60 dBu (Output Gain @ +10 dB): CCIR-468-4; -60 dBu (Output
Gain @ 0dB), -50 dBu (Output Gain @ +10 dB)
- Cross talk @ 10 kHz: -40 dB
- CMRR @ 10 kHz: -60 dB
- Max. output @ 1 % THD+N: > +26 dBu
- Gain Output: off to +10 dB; Low-, Mid-, & High band; off to +10 dB
- Tracking between channels: 0,5 dB
- X-over frequencies: Low & Mid band: 60 to 300 Hz (x1); 0.24 to 1.2 kHz (x4)
- Mid & High band: 1.2 to 6 kHz (x1)
- Compressor Ratio: 1,5:1 to 10:1
- Compressor Threshold: off to -20 dBu
- Compressor Attack: 3 ms to 200 ms
- Compressor Release: 60 ms to 2 s
- Tubes: ECC 81 4 pc, ECC 82 2 pc. ECC 83 2 pc
- Dimensions H x W x D: 5.2" x 19" x 8.1" (132 mm x 480 mm x 205 mm)
- Weight: 13.7 lbs (6.2 kg)
- Power requirements @ 115 V/230 V, 50-60 Hz: 30-45 W