Breakthrough sounds and tools for making music.
The MOTIF XS6 is a powerhouse 61-key synth workstation from Yamaha. It comes with a mind-blowing 355MB
of wave ROM which combines with the Expanded Articulation tone generator for previously unheard levels of expression and sound
quality. Also key to the XS experience is the easy-to-use performance recording for capturing ideas as you play—voices
and effects intact. Over 1,000 voices (plus 64 drum kits), 4 musical arpeggiators, over 6000 phrases, a sampling sequencer,
studio-style mixing, a color LCD, and assignable knobs and sliders for hands-on control. Computer connectivity via USB and
Ethernet. Includes Cubase AI, optimized for seamless integration with the MOTIF XS.
Instant inspiration, infinite
With the Yamaha MOTIF XS, inspiration is just a key press away. High-quality sounds to inspire you, intelligent arpeggiators
to fuel your creativity, recording features to capture every idea, built-in sampling to create full audio/MIDI arrangements,
rhythmic Patterns to compose with, studio-style mixing controls, and versatile effect processing to master your final productions.
With all this and more, the MOTIF XS will soon be your go—to instrument—whether youre composing at home, recording
in the studio, or playing live. It's got absolutely everything you need to make professional quality music.
sounds to spark your creativity
The MOTIF XS provides an exceptionally broad selection of realistic sounds to spark your creativity, with 355MB of high-quality
waveforms and samples onboard. A single Voice can have up to 8 separate sound elements, enabling composite sounds of remarkable
complexity and nuance. Among the standout voices is a resonant, meticulously recorded concert grand piano sound practically
worth the price of admission by itself. New acoustic piano, electric piano, and orchestral samples—not to mention the
richly textured and distinctly electronic synthesizer waves—give you the sonic tools to fully realize virtually any
style of music and any instrumentation.
The sound engine has been upgraded with the Expanded Articulation (XA) tone
generation system. Using the 8 available elements, XA allows you to more effectively recreate realistic sound and natural
performance techniques—such as legato, staccato, and key release sounds—often used on acoustic instruments but
unavailable or difficult to realize on electronic keyboards. It also lets you assign elements to on/off panel switches, and
change sounds within a voice in realtime—for example, playing a classical guitar voice and switching between playing
normally and playing high harmonics. XA also offers other unique modes for random and alternate sound changes as you play.
wide selection of special Mega Voices provide even more expressive nuance, when used with sequencer tracks or the special
Mega Voice Arpeggios. Mega Voices are not meant to be played from the keyboard because of their complex velocity layers, but
have special expressive sounds that are designed to be precisely triggered by recorded data—for example, letting you
create an acoustic guitar track with authentic sounding muted playing, slides, and bell-like harmonics.
features include a uniquely natural half damper effect for acoustic piano sounds. This gives you nuanced control over the
sustained sound when pressing the damper pedal, depending on how far down you press the pedal. The MOTIF XS has a full complement
of effects, both insert (Insertion) and send (System), and includes a special set of VCM (Virtual Circuitry Modeling) effects
that authentically model the elements in analog circuitry, realistically recreating the uniquely warm characteristics of vintage
processing gear. Speaking of vintage, the instrument also includes a sophisticated Vocoder effect that produces classic robotic
synthesizer sounds, molded by your speaking or singing voice through a connected microphone.
Ideal for live
performance, song creation, and arranging
The MOTIF XS has lots of sophisticated features to help jump-start your creativity and live performance potential. One of
the most powerful of these is the arpeggio phrase function, which lets you trigger a variety of sequenced phrases from the
keyboard. There are approximately 6,000 different arpeggio phrases onboard, and you can have 4 different phrases—playing
4 different instrument parts—running simultaneously and in perfect sync. The music-making possibilities are virtually
endless. Have a drum Voice play an automatic rhythm, add an Arpeggio bass phrase, and fly in other instrument phrases as the
inspiration hits you. Everything stays in sync and everything follows your chord changes.
While you experiment and
play around with Arpeggios in the Performance mode, the song ideas will come fast and fierce—maybe too many to remember.
No worries, though. You can capture them easily and directly by recording them to a song or pattern (which can be stored to
the built-in flash memory). Since the data is MIDI, you don't have to worry about running out of recording space. You can
record your keyboard playing, freely calling up various Arpeggio types as you improvise, then edit the song later as necessary.
You may even want to keep the recorder running as you play, then listen back later and pick out the best parts to create your
Another powerful feature is the Integrated Sampling Sequencer, which seamlessly combines audio and
MIDI recording. Simply install optional DIMM modules (up to 1GB) and record the audio directly to tracks on the MOTIF XS.
Record your vocals or acoustic guitar (with a microphone), electric guitar or bass, or even short rhythm loops from a sample
There's also a Slice feature that automatically chops up your rhythms and riffs into their individual beats and
notes, letting you manipulate the component parts of your sample loops as MIDI data—giving you the power to easily change
tempo and rhythmic feel, without disturbing the pitch or sound quality.
Intuitive interface, easy operation
Despite all the advanced technology and wealth of features packed tightly into the instrument, the MOTIF XS is exceptionally
intuitive and easy to use. It gives you a large, full-color LCD that lets you see multiple parameters at a glance, and has
clear, high-resolution graphics with virtual sliders, knobs, and more.
The panel of the MOTIF XS provides an amazing
level of control and flexibility. 8 knobs and 8 sliders let you instantly tweak a variety of parameters and effects as you
play. The 8 knobs are especially versatile, letting you use the knobs to independently control 8 different parameters (out
of 24 selectable), or use them to control a certain effect setting (reverb, chorus, or pan) for up to 8 different parts (in
a song, for example). The knobs can also be used to change the rhythmic feel and other settings of Arpeggios and Patterns
while they play back. 2 Assignable Function buttons give you added control over the sound of the new Expanded Articulation
(XA) Voices, letting you change sounds within a Voice in realtime.
Other convenient operation features include the
improved Category Search function, which now is organized with Dual Categories that help you find the Voice you want. Calling
up the Guitar category, for instance, gives you access to the Dual (sub) Categories, such as Acoustic, Electric Clean, and
Electric Distortion. The Mega Arpeggio Voices also have their own Dual Category for easy selection of those unique Voices.
MOTIF XS is not only exceptionally intuitive and easy to operate, its a true joy to play—right down to the newly designed
expressive keyboards. The MOTIF XS6 and XS7 have a FSX keyboard (61/76 keys), while the MOTIF XS8 features the grand piano-like
BH (Balanced Hammer) keyboard (88 keys).
A full-featured music production synthesizer in every way, the MOTIF XS comes equipped with a variety of connectors and interfaces—for
virtually any application and any studio situation. These include independent Assignable Outputs, A/D Inputs (for recording
external sources), S/PDIF Digital Output, MIDI, Ethernet, IEEE 1394 (standard on the MOTIF XS8 and available on the MOTIF
XS6/7 with the optional board) and 2 USB connectors, compatible with the high-speed USB 2.0 standard.
set of connectors—ethernet, IEEE 1394 (FireWire, mLAN), and USB—make interfacing with computers and your favorite
software exceptionally easy. In particular, the ethernet connection gives you fast transfer of your MOTIF XS files to and
from a computer on the same network. The IEEE 1394 interface (included on XS 8, optional expansion for XS 6 and 7) gives you
a one-cable, one-network solution for high—speed, realtime transfer of multi—channel digital audio and MIDI data.
Today's music production is highly dependent on software, and the MOTIF XS is designed to work seamlessly and transparently
in your computer—based environment. The Remote Control mode lets you control your DAW software right from the panel
of the MOTIF XS—for example, starting and stopping playback/recording with the special transport buttons, changing track
levels with the sliders, and tweaking parameters with the knobs.
The MOTIF XS is also compatible with the MOTIF XS
Editor—a comprehensive, easy-to-use editing software program that lets you edit (via USB connection) the mixing setups
and mixing voices to be used for song/pattern playback directly on your computer. The MOTIF XS Editor is free and can be downloaded
from the Yamaha website. Naturally, the editor can be used within Cubase as part of Studio Connections, and all settings can
be saved with each project for instant recall.
If Cubase is not yet part of your software arsenal, a copy of Cubase
AI is bundled with the instrument, letting you dive in and start using the versatile features of Studio Connections right
out of the box. Cubase AI is a full-featured music production software that integrates fully with the MOTIF XS, and can easily
be upgraded to Cubase 4. It gives you all the tools to produce professional level recordings—quickly and easily—with
a system that you can expand into the future.
The Cubase Connection—and Studio Connections
The MOTIF XS is specially designed to function seamlessly with Cubase 4, Steinbergs powerful DAW software—giving you
a comprehensive, all-in-one music production system in which both hardware and software are fully integrated.
our Studio Connections system (created jointly with Steinberg), you can effectively bring the MOTIF XS into the Cubase environment
and use it just as if it were a plug-in software synthesizer—no complicated connections or complex setup necessary.
Whenever you open a project, your MOTIF XS is automatically enabled as well, with all the custom settings you previously saved.
You can use the convenient panel controls on the MOTIF XS to remotely to control a wide variety of operations on Cubase 4.
And since song files on the MOTIF XS are in Cubase format, you can create material on the MOTIF XS and easily import it to
tracks in Cubase 4 for further editing and mixing.
Yamaha MOTIF XS6 Music Production Synthesizer Workstation Keyboard Features:
- 61 keys
- 355MB of wave ROM
- Xpanded Articulation (XA) tone generator
- Instant Performance Recording
- Updated interface
- Large color LCD screen
- 8 knobs and sliders
- Studio-style mixing environment
- Virtual Circuitry Modeling effects
- 4 intelligent Arpeggiators
- Integrated Sampling Sequencer with 1 GB of optional memory
- Total Computer Integration
- Cubase AI software included
Ready to musically MOTIFate your ideas and performances? Order now!
Yamaha MOTIF XS6 Music Production Synthesizer Workstation Keyboard Specifications:
- MOTIF XS6: 61 keys, FSX Keyboard (Initial Touch/Aftertouch)
- Tone Generator: AWM2 with Expanded Articulation
- Polyphony: 128 notes
- Multitimbral capacity: 16 parts; audio input parts (A/D, mLAN*) *1 stereo part
- Wave: 355MB (when converted to 16-bit linear format), 2,670 waveforms
- Preset: 1,024 Normal Voices + 64 Drum Kits
- GM: 128 Normal Voices + 1 Drum Kit
- User: 128 x 3 (selected and copied from Preset bank) Normal Voice + 32 Drum Kits
- User: 128 x 3 (up to 4 Parts)
- Filter: 18 types
- Effect system: Reverb x 9 types, Chorus x 22 types, Insertion (A, B, L) x 53 types x 8 blocks, Master Effect x 9 types,
Master Equalizer (5 bands), Part EQ (3 bands, stereo)
- Samples: Up to 1,024 Waveforms (Multi Samples), up to 128 Key Banks per Waveform, up to 4,096 Key Banks
- Sampling sources: analog input L/R, Stereo output (Resampling), digital output mLAN (available on the MOTIF XS6 and 7
when the mLAN16E2 has been installed)
- A/D Conversion: 24-bit, 64x oversampling
- D/A Conversion; 24-bit, 128x oversampling
- Sample data bits: 16
- Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz, 22.05kHz, 11.025kHz, 5.5125kHz (Stereo/Mono), via mLAN (when the mLAN16E2 has been installed)
- Sampling memory: Optionally installed, expandable to 1GB (512MB DIMM x 2 slots)
- Sample length: 32MB mono, 64MB stereo
- Sampling time: 44.1kHz—6 min. 20 sec.; 22.05kHz—12 min. 40 sec.; 11.025kHz—25 min. 20 sec.; 5.0125kHz—55
min. 40 sec.
- Sample format: original format, WAV, AIFF
- Note capacity: Approx. 130,000 notes
- Note resolution: 480 ppq (parts per quarter note)
- Maximum polyphony: 124 notes
- Tempo (BPM): 5300
- Recording type: realtime replace; realtime overdub (with the exception of the Pattern Chain); realtime punch in/out (Song
- Tracks: Pattern—16 Phrase tracks; Pattern Chain—Pattern track, Tempo track, Scene; Song—16 sequence
tracks (Loop on/off can be set for each track), Tempo track, Scene track
- Patterns: 64 Patterns (x 16 sections); 256 measures (maximum); 16 Voices per Pattern, up to 256 Voices for all Patterns;
32 mixing templates for all songs and Patterns
- Phrases: 256 User Phrases per Pattern
- Songs: 64 Songs; 16 Mixing Voices per Song, up to 256 for all Songs; 32 Mixing Templates for all Songs and Patterns
- Arpeggio: Approx. 6,000 Preset types; 256 User types (MIDI Sync, MIDI transmit/receive channel, Velocity Limit, and Note
Limit can be set)
- Scene Memory: 5 per Song
- Sequence Format: Original format, SMF format 0, 1 (Format 1 load only)
- Master: 128 User (8 Zones [Master keyboard settings], Assignable Knob/Slider settings, Program Change Table)
- Sequence Software compatible with the Remote Control function: Cubase 4, Cubase AI, SONAR 5.2 for Windows; Cubase 4, Cubase
AI, Logic 7.2, Digital Performer 5 for Macintosh (Functions to be controlled differ depending on the software)
- Controllers: Pitch Bend wheel, Modulation wheel, Ribbon Controller, Assignable Control Sliders x 8, Assignable Knobs x
8, Assignable Function buttons x 2, Data dial
- Display: 320 x 240 dot, 5.7 inch graphic color backlit LCD
- OUTPUT L/MONO, R (standard phone jack)
- ASSIGNABLE OUTPUT L, R (standard phone jack)
- A/D INPUT L, R (standard phone jack)
- DIGITAL OUT
- PHONES (standard stereo phone jack)
- FOOTCONTROLLER 1, 2
- FOOTSWITCH x 2 (SUSTAIN, ASSIGNABLE)
- MIDI IN/OUT/THRU
- USB (TO HOST, TO DEVICE)
- AC IN
- mLAN (available on the MOTIF XS6 and 7 when the mLAN16E2 has been installed)
- Power Consumption: 30W
- MOTIF XS6: 1,045 (W) x 391 (D) x 122 (H) mm, 14.8 kg