One of the best all-time dynamic vocal mics&mdashl;used on Michael Jackson's Thriller album.
The flat, 50Hz-20kHz frequency response of the Shure SM7B Microphone with Switchable Response is designed
especially for spoken word, but recording engineers have discovered that it's also an exceptional mic for adding body to thin
vocals and handling loud rock/metal singers. It also has the ability to tame harsh or sibilant sounds from hi-hat, cymbals,
and voice. The SM7B is highly shielded against electrical interference, and includes bass roll-off and mid-range emphasis
(presence boost) controls with graphic display, and internal "air suspension" shock isolation. It ships with a standard windscreen
and an A7WS detachable windscreen for close-talk applications.
Need some convincing that this might be the mic for
you? This is the vocal mic that Bruce Swedien used to record Michael Jackson's vocals on Thriller, the best-selling
album of all time.
Application note: The SM7B is a low output mic, so plugging direct into an audio interface may
not offer enough gain. In such a case you need a preamp with a decent amount of gain. Due to its smooth sound and thickening
characteristics, a transparent-sounding preamp will be a preferred choice. (See our Preamp Buying Guide for a thorough discussion
of transparent vs. color preamps.)
Shure SM7B Microphone with Switchable Response Features:
- Flat, wide-range frequency response for exceptionally clean and natural reproduction of both music and speech
- Bass roll-off and mid-range emphasis (presence boost) controls with graphic display of response setting
- Improved rejection of electromagnetic hum, optimized for shielding against broadband interference emitted by computer
- Internal "air suspension" shock isolation virtually eliminates mechanical noise transmission
- Highly effective pop filter eliminates need for any add-on protection against explosive breath sounds, even for close-up
vocals or narration
- Now shipping with the A7WS detachable windscreen, designed to reduce plosive sounds and gives a warmer tone for close-talk
- Yoke mounting with captive stand nut for easy mounting and dismounting provides precise control of microphone position
- Classic cardioid polar pattern, uniform with frequency and symmetrical about axis, to provide maximum rejection and minimum
coloration of off-axis sound
- Rugged construction and excellent cartridge protection for outstanding reliability
Once you hear what this mic can do for your vocal recordings, you'll wish you found it sooner.
Don't delay, order today!
Shure SM7B Microphone with Switchable Response Specifications:
- Type: Dynamic
- Frequency Response: 50Hz — 20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid (unidirectional)
- Impedance: 150 ohms (150 ohms actual), for connection to microphone inputs rated at 19 to 300 ohms.
- Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 relative to pin 3.
- Output Level (at 1,000 Hz): Open Circuit Voltage*: -59.0 dB (1.12 mV)
- *0 dB = 1 volt per Pascal
- Electromagnetic Hum Sensitivity (Typical, Equivalent SPL/milliOersted):
- 60 Hz: 11 dB
- 500 Hz: 24 dB
- 1 kHz: 33 dB
- Switches: Bass roll off and mid-range emphasis: slotted response selector switches.
- Cartridge Shock Mount: Internal air-suspension shock and vibration isolator
- Connector: 3-pin professional audio (XLR)
- Swivel Assembly: Integrated, captive nut for ease of attachment to stand, fits 5/8 in.-27 thread