A tower of computing excellence that can be easily custom-designed to meet your expanding needs.
This Mac Pro features a Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor that gives you 2.8GHz speed, as well
as a 2TB hard drive, an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, housed in a tower with plenty of room for
expansion. The easy-access interior of the Mac Pro feels like the well-organized workstation it is. No rat's nest of components
here. You don't need to turn the system on its side or struggle to reach into awkward spaces to make changes. Just remove
the side panel for instant access to everything. Slide out the processor tray to add memory. Slide out drive bays to add storage.
Slide a simple bar to change up to four expansion cards at once. And with plenty of I/O ports both front and back, you'll
have room for all your external devices.
The single-die advantage
Many multicore processors are composed of two separate dies, which means some cached data has to travel outside the processor
to get from core to core. That's an inefficient way to access information. Enter the Quad-Core processor. The single-die,
64-bit architecture makes 8MB of fully shared L3 cache readily available to each of the processor cores. The result is fast
access to cache data and greater application performance. Combine that with the other technological advances and you get a
Mac Pro that's up to 1.5x faster than the previous generation.
System memory is often connected to a processor through a separate I/O controller. But Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors feature
an integrated memory controller. By connecting memory directly to the processor, the Mac Pro's processor have faster access
to data stored in memory, and memory latency is reduced.
The integrated memory controller, along with fast DDR3 ECC
SDRAM at 1333MHz, gives Mac Pro an increase in memory bandwidth over previous generations. More bandwidth allows for more
data to be fed to the processor faster, helping each core spend its time processing data, not waiting for information to arrive.
And Error Correction Code (ECC) corrects single-bit errors and detects multiple-bit errors automatically. That's especially
important in mission-critical and compute-intensive environments.
Path of least resistance
A bidirectional, point-to-point connection—called QuickPath Interconnect—gives the Intel Xeon processors quick
access to the disk, I/O, and other Mac Pro subsystems. In dual-processor Mac Pro models, there's a QuickPath Interconnect
between the two processors as well. This connection acts as a direct pipeline, so processor-to-processor data doesn't need
to travel to the I/O hub first. It's another way the Mac Pro boosts performance across the board.
The Mac Pro meets the stringent low power requirements set by the EPA, giving it ENERGY STAR qualification. ENERGY STAR 5.0
sets significantly higher efficiency limits for power supplies and aggressive limits for the computer's typical annual power
Up to 5x faster standard graphics
The high-performance graphics card from AMD makes your Mac Pro's graphics technology up to 5 times faster than ever before.
Perfect for motion graphics, 3D modeling, rendering, or animation, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory comes standard.
It not only provides faster performance compared to previous Mac Pro standard graphics cards—it's also faster than the
top-of-the-line graphics cards in the previous generation.
Don't keep those pixels waiting
The foundation of the Mac Pro graphics architecture is the latest generation of GPUs connected to the system via a fast and
wide PCI Express 2.0 16-lane bus. Couple that with Core Animation, Core Image, and Core Video technologies in Mac OS X Snow
Leopard. The result is a graphics platform that allows applications to seamlessly tap into a teraflop of graphics power.
The Mac Pro comes with four 3.5-inch drive bays for an enormous amount of internal storage—up to 8TB when you install
four 2TB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drives (comes with pre-installed 2TB drive). Each bay provides its own independent 3Gb/s channel
for fast access to data. Thanks to the cable-free, direct-attach installation system, adding (or replacing) hard drives is
a surprisingly simple process.
Choose solid state for ultimate performance.
New to the Mac Pro is the option to add up to four 512GB solid state drives—or any combination of solid state and hard
drives. Solid state drives have no moving parts and are capable of accessing data at speeds up to 230MB per second, which
is up to twice the speed of hard drives. The result? Incredible performance on a range of data-intensive tasks, including
up to 2x faster ProRes video encoding using solid state drives compared with hard drives.
Ready to RAID
For data protection and enhanced SATA hard drive performance, add the Mac Pro RAID Card with 512MB of RAID cache, a 72-hour
cache-protecting battery, and hardware RAID levels 0, 1, 5, and 0+1.2 (all sold separately). A cableless connection and intuitive
Apple software make it a snap to install this optional card. It's the perfect solution for workgroup servers, video pros working
with high-bit-rate assets, or anyone who wants to protect critical data.
Even without a RAID card, Mac OS X lets you
stripe two, three, or all four drives—either solid-state or hard drives—in a RAID 0 array to increase performance
and create a massive volume for tasks such as video editing; or create a RAID 1 mirror to protect digital media assets from
a drive failure.
What makes Mac OS X a powerful operating system is the technology behind it: a fully certified UNIX foundation. With a rock-solid
UNIX infrastructure, it's one of the most secure and stable operating systems on any platform. Developers will appreciate
Mac OS X even more because it's fully UNIX compliant. That means it compiles and runs all your existing UNIX code, so you
can deploy it in environments that demand full conformance. The result? Software performs exactly as it's meant to. And because
the powerful tools built into Mac OS X improve application performance on multicore processors, the new Mac Pro is the ideal
Mac OS X is to the Mac Pro what a skilled driver is to a car with a powerful engine—a perfect match. Since the Mac Pro
runs Mac OS X in 64-bit mode, you can take full advantage of the 64-bit architecture of the Intel Xeon processors inside your
new Mac Pro. Add to that the 32Gb of memory available for the Mac Pro, and Mac OS X performance is even better than before.
Mac OS X also enables developers to build complete 64-bit applications using the Cocoa, Quartz, OpenGL, and X11 GUI frameworks.
And because Mac OS X supports 64-bit and 32-bit applications, you don't need a new set of devices or drivers.
At the heart of this new Mac Pro is a quad-core Intel Xeon processor with an incredible amount of processing power. Optimized
for multicore technology, Mac OS X provides powerful tools that make it easy to reap the benefits of the Mac Pro. The scheduler
in Mac OS X, for instance, is very efficient at allocating tasks across multiple cores and processors. So Mac OS X spends
less time managing tasks and more time performing computations. As a developer, you can build applications that execute with
the same efficiency, thanks to NSOperation, a breakthrough API that optimizes applications for multicore processing.
From the cascading windows of Time Machine to the smooth animation of the reflective 3D Dock, stunning visual effects truly
set Mac OS X apart. Behind all that beauty is a technology built into Mac OS X called Core Animation. The performance of Core
Animation benefits from the multicore processors and advanced graphics hardware in the new Mac Pro. For developers, Core Animation
easily opens up the power of Apple's graphics technologies. You can create animated user interfaces and visualizations that
simultaneously layer different media types, such as text, 2D graphics, OpenGL rendering, and QuickTime video—all in
Xcode developer tools
Xcode is the graphical development environment that comes with every Mac. It's the same software used by Apple to produce
Mac OS X, and it's packed with tools and features, including a powerful graphical debugger, a code editor supporting dozens
of languages, and the amazing Instruments tool to visualize your application's performance. Xcode is optimized to take advantage
of the multicore Intel Xeon processors and system memory in the Mac Pro. It works fast, supports multiple languages (both
computer and human), and offers developers everything they need to make stunning Mac OS X applications.
- Instant server
The multitalented Mac Pro can also act as a powerful small-workgroup server. Just add Mac OS X Server (sold separately). The
resulting solution combines Mac ease of use with flexible configuration options and server-class hardware. With multicore
Intel Xeon processing power, up to 32GB of ECC memory, an optional RAID card, and dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, a Mac Pro workgroup
server has everything you need—and then some.
Apple Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core 3GB/2TB/5770 Features:
- Quad-core (standard configuration)
- One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon W3530 "Nehalem" processor
- 8MB of fully shared L3 cache per processor
- Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.06GHz
- Hyper-Threading technology for up to 8 virtual cores
Advanced Intel microarchitecture
- Integrated memory controller
- 128-bit SSE4 SIMD engine
- 64-bit data paths and registers
- Optimized for energy efficiency
Connections and audio
- Four FireWire 800 ports (two on front panel, two on back panel)
- Five USB 2.0 ports (two on front panel, three on back panel)
- Two USB 2.0 ports on included keyboard
- Front-panel headphone minijack and internal speaker
- Optical digital audio input and output TOSLINK ports
- Analog stereo line-level input and output minijacks
- Multichannel audio through Mini DisplayPort
Graphics and displays
- Double-wide, 16-lane PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot with one of the following graphics cards installed:
- ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, two Mini DisplayPort outputs, and one dual-link DVI port
- Support for up to six displays3
- Support for digital resolutions up to 2560 x 1600 pixels
- Support for analog resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 pixels
- 2.8GHz and 3.2GHz systems: 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
- 3.33GHz system: 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
- Four memory slots supporting up to 16GB of main memory using 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB DIMMs
- Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;4 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
- Bluetooth 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) wireless technology
- Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames
- Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots6
- One PCI Express 2.0 x 16 slot
- Two PCI Express 2.0 x 4 slots
- All slots provide mechanical support for 16-lane cards
- 300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots
- Four 3.5" cable-free, direct-attach drive bays with built-in independent 3Gb/s Serial ATA channels; four internal drive
- Can have up to 8TB of internal storage in bays 1 through 4 using hard drives or solid state drives
- Comes with 2TB hard drive, Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 32MB cache
- Works with optional RAID card
18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- Writes DVD+R and DVD-R discs at up to 18x speed
- Writes DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL discs at up to 8x speed
- Writes DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed
- Writes DVD-RW discs at up to 6x speed
- Reads DVDs at up to 18x speed
- Writes CD-R and CD-RW discs at up to 32x speed
- Reads CDs at up to 32x speed
- One open optical drive bay for optional second SuperDrive
Order this Mac Pro today and get more done faster!
Apple Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core 3GB/2TB/5770 Specifications:
- Electrical and operating requirements
- Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 200-240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage)
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz single phase
- Current: Maximum of 12A (low-voltage range) or 5A (high-voltage range)
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: -40° to 116° F (-40° to 47° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
Dimensions (HxWxD): 20.1" (51.1cm) x 8.1" (20.6cm) x 18.7" (47.5cm)
- Weight: Quad-core 39.9lb. (18.1kg)